Sunday, November 21, 2004

House of Horrors

In other twisted news out of the House of Representatives, a bill that would enact recommendations of the 9/11 commission has been stalled because of a lack of support among some conversative Republicans. The bill does have pretty broad bi-partisan support, but certain factions on the right who are apparently operating at the behest of the Defense Department are stalling. It basically boils down to the territorial nature of the existing intelligence agencies, who are unwilling to relinquish a degree of control (especially budgetary control) to a national intelligence overseer.

Speaking of the 9/11 commission, I can't recommend enough the 9/11 Commission Report, which I am currently making my way through. I dragged my feet on reading it for a while, as we were hearing long before its release that it was a compromised document as far as willingness to lay blame in the places where blame needed to be doled out, but it seems about as comprehensive as I could have hoped for. If you don't want to pay for it (though it's cheap), you can download it for free (but it's lllloong).

No comments: